CAREER LIFT-OFFMentoring Programme
Aerospace Christchurch 2021 Mentor Programme
Our very first mentor programme is designed to support individuals who may be looking for their first aerospace job or to give assistance to those seeking guidance with mid-career progression and growth.
This programme is an opportunity for individuals within the local aerospace community to connect with Industry Professionals throughout a 12-week guided mentoring relationship. Open to all professionals (or those who aspire to be), currently working or studying within the Canterbury aerospace industry, who wish to participate as a Mentee or Mentor. This program is designed to connect Mentees with industry, expand professional networks and to develop the local aerospace industry through sharing knowledge and experience between individuals and organisations.
Mentors have the opportunity to hear fresh perspectives from their Mentee, develop their coaching and mentoring skills, reflect on their knowledge and work practices, invest in the future workforce and give back to the industry.
The program is guided, but is flexible for Mentors and Mentees to tailor to suit busy lives and professional development goals.
About The Program:
● Personal – one on one mentoring
● Structured – a guided program for both Mentees and Mentors
● Aimed at students and professionals
● Short – only a 12 week program
● Supported by the Aerospace Christchurch community
The matching of mentors to mentees is facilitated by a matching algorithm with Aerospace Christchurch staff and volunteers based on profiles built by participants.
Once in a mentoring connection, participants will receive a range of resources throughout the 12 week programme. This includes a connection plan, which gives a guide for how a 12 week mentoring plan could look. Within the connection plan are suggested activities, tips, helpful resources and suggested timelines.
These resources are a guide only. Career Lift-Off is designed to be flexible to each unique mentoring connection. Some participants may follow the guided material carefully, others will negotiate their own plan for the 12 week period. This is encouraged, and Aerospace Christchurch support is available throughout the 12 weeks to offer guidance if needed.
Important notes: This programme is NOT designed to find the mentee a job, the mentor is not acting as a recruiter, it is to arm the mentee with the professional skills and support to find a job for themselves. Mentor notes will step you through the process.
A $15 fully refundable application fee does apply to Mentees if your application is unsuccessful.
What can you gain from the Mentoring Program?
● Career guidance and advice from an industry professional
● Connect with industry and expand your professional network
● Develop confidence communicating with industry professionals
● Help map career progression
● Take part in professional development opportunities
● Open up further professional opportunities
To apply as a mentee you could be a student at Uni or another tertiary college, you could be an international immigrant, someone emerging from a mid-career change or looking to take the next step in your current aerospace career APPLY HERE.
What can you gain from the Mentoring Program?
● Mentoring is often a rewarding experience and a chance to reflect on your own journey, skills and knowledge.
● Enhance your coaching and leadership skills
● Develop a fresh perspective on your career
● Extend your professional network
● Help to shape the future of your profession and community
● A deeper appreciation for the value you have to offer
To apply as a mentor you will need to have empathy for individuals finding their first aerospace job and/or be willing to share your experience and professional passion with those looking to accelerate their current aerospace career APPLY HERE.
First time mentoring? Mentors get plenty of support. Throughout the programme, we provide some tips and guidelines by email on topics you may want to discuss.
Six Simple Steps
This programme has six steps and is similar for both mentors or mentees:
1. Complete your application, APPLY HERE.
2. You will be emailed profiles for mentors/mentee and you can select people that you think might be a match for you.
3. Attend the kick-off ‘Meet & Greet’ meeting at 5.15pm on Tuesday 10th August where we will describe the process and expectations. You will get an opportunity to meet your potential matches.
4. The following day we will ask you to rank your preferred matches in the system.
5. The system will then magically match you up and send you an email.
6. Mentor and mentee will then arrange six mentoring sessions at times that best suit them. We recommend meeting once a fortnight.
Key 2021 Dates
● Wednesday 2 June – Applications Open
● Friday 6 August– Final application date. The approval process starts.
● Tuesday 10 August– Meet & Greet event. Meet potential mentors or mentees (attendance required)
● Friday 13 August – Matches sent out
● Monday 16 August through to Friday 29 October – Mentoring sessions begin. Fortnightly meetings – 6 in total – an email with hints and tips sent to mentors every two weeks.
● Tuesday 16 November (TBC) – End of Programme get-together, retrospective online survey.
Code of Conduct We have a mentoring Code of Conduct for anyone involved in our mentoring programme. Read the Aerospace Christchurch Mentoring Programme Code of Conduct, HERE.