Aerospace Christchurch’s Career Lift-Off Mentoring Programme has been POSTPONED.
We have been working hard to present our new mentoring programme and algorithm to all of you, in time for next week’s Meet & Greet. However, due to strong interest nationally, we need to re-frame the mentoring program to have a national focus. This will take some time and effort and as a result, we have made the decision to postpone the Aerospace Christchurch Career Lift-Off Mentoring Programme to March 2023 when universities have resumed.
We wish to deliver the best mentoring experience possible and feel that postponing the mentor programme is the best way to achieve this ensuring that our program is inclusive of those across the nation.
Our Career Lift-Off programme is designed to support individuals who may be looking for their first aerospace job or to give assistance to those seeking guidance with mid-career progression and growth.
This programme is an opportunity for individuals in the local aerospace community to connect with industry professionals throughout a 12-week, guided mentoring relationship. Open to all professionals (or those who aspire to be), currently working or studying within the Canterbury aerospace industry, who wish to participate as a mentee or mentor.
"This will kickstart your aerospace aspirations and get you connected to the best and open doors for opportunities you dreamed of through the people you meet and the knowledge you gain - it will put you on the fast track!"- 2021 Programme Mentor
Mentees, what can you gain from the mentoring programme?
- Career guidance and advice from an industry professional
- Connect with industry and expand your professional network
- Develop confidence communicating with industry professionals
- Help map career progression
- Take part in professional development opportunities
- Open up further professional opportunities
To apply as a mentee you could be a tertiary student, an international immigrant, someone emerging from a mid-career change, or looking to take the next step in your current aerospace career.
Mentors, what can you gain from the mentoring programme?
- Mentoring is often a rewarding experience and a chance to reflect on your own journey, skills and knowledge.
- Enhance your coaching and leadership skills
- Develop a fresh perspective on your career
- Extend your professional network
- Help to shape the future of your profession and community
- A deeper appreciation for the value you have to offer
To apply as a mentor you will need to have empathy for individuals finding their first aerospace job and/or be willing to share your experience and professional passion with those looking to accelerate their current aerospace career.
SIX SIMPLE STEPS
- Complete your application here.
- You will be emailed profiles of mentors/mentee to get an idea of who you might be matched with.
- Attend the kick-off ‘Meet & Greet’ meeting on Tuesday 16 August where you will get an opportunity to meet your potential matches.
- The following day we will ask you to rank your preferred matches in the system.
- The system will then magically match you up and send you an email introducing you to your match!
- Mentor and mentee can then arrange six mentoring sessions at times that best suit them (we recommend meeting once a fortnight).
- Wednesday 25 May – Applications open
- Friday 12 August – Final application date
- Tuesday 16 August – Meet & Greet event (attendance required) – meet potential mentors or mentees
- Friday 19 August – Matches sent out
- Monday 22 August – Friday 4 November – Mentoring sessions begin – six fortnightly meetings (structure can be altered to suit you and your mentor). Emails with session suggestions and tips will be sent fortnightly
- Tuesday 15 November (TBC) – End of Programme Get Together
AEROSPACE CHRISTCHURCH’S CAREER LIFT-OFF MENTORING PROGRAMME HAS BEEN POSTPONED.
Just do it! The mentoring programme is a great chance to meet like minded people and get more involved in New Zealand's growing aerospace sector.- 2021 Programme Mentee
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
This programme is designed to connect mentees with industry, expand professional networks and to develop the local aerospace industry through sharing knowledge and experience between individuals and organisations.
Mentors have the opportunity to hear fresh perspectives from their mentee, develop their coaching and mentoring skills, reflect on their knowledge and work practices, invest in the future workforce and give back to the industry.
- Personal – one on one mentoring
- Structured – a guided programme for both mentees and mentors
- Aimed – at tertiary students and professionals
- Short – only a 12 week program
- Supported – by the Aerospace Christchurch community
The programme is guided, but is flexible for mentors and mentees to tailor to suit busy lives and professional development goals.
The matching of mentors to mentees is facilitated by a matching algorithm with Aerospace Christchurch staff and volunteers based on profiles built by participants.
Once in a mentoring connection, participants will receive a range of resources throughout the 12 week programme. This includes a connection plan, which gives a guide for how a 12 week mentoring plan could look. Within the connection plan are suggested activities, tips, helpful resources and suggested timelines.
These resources are a guide only. Career Lift-Off is designed to be flexible to each unique mentoring connection. Some participants may follow the guided material carefully, others will negotiate their own plan for the 12 week period. This is encouraged, and Aerospace Christchurch support is available throughout the 12 weeks to offer guidance if needed.
We have a mentoring Code of Conduct for anyone involved in our mentoring programme.
FIRST TIME MENTORING?
Mentors get plenty of support. Throughout the programme, we provide some tips and guidelines by email on topics you may want to discuss.
This programme is NOT designed to find the mentee a job, the mentor is not acting as a recruiter. It aims to prepare the mentee with the professional skills and support to find a job for themselves. Mentee/mentor notes will step you through the process.
A $15 application fee for mentees does apply – fully refundable if your application is unsuccessful. Applications may not be accepted based on matching numbers.